Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Life In the great North



Yes, it is true, I am up in Alaska working for a company called EMC Engineering. They contract with the state of Alaska on several jobs around the state. The one I am working on is up in Northway, Ak. there is literally nothing up here. There is an airport that was originally built during WWII as a staging point for Russia. It is used now as a customs checkpoint for planes coming in from Canada. A few years ago there was an earthquake up here that damaged the airport. They have torn up the old runway and are currently in the process of builing a new one which will be a 2 year project. My job is to take densities of each layer as they build. It is built in 4 layers. I also have to take random samples of the material they are using to make sure it will support the airplanes that will land here. I work six 12 hours shifts, which isn't too bad. I have included a picture of the view I get to look at from the office of my lab.

No comments: