Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Potty Training Day Adventure

So the other day I decided that I was done changing 2 sets of diapers every day, it was now time to get Terrilyn potty trained. It was Christmas break so no leaving the house to get Cameron and as long as I am in the car lets go run some errands...this should be perfect right?

Well its the holiday weekend, Walmart is going to be crazy for the next week or so staying home should be easy until I look into the fridge and "UH OH" we will be out of milk tomorrow and I do need some things for that Christmas dinner we will be having with Alonna and for that Christmas morning brunch we are having with the Curtis'. Curses! I need to go to Walmart. So the morning of Cameron's preschool party...as long as I am out I better head over to Walmart.

Now, I am one that bypasses the whole pull-up thing because for me they seem just like a diaper and I do the underwear that is like the cloth diapers, kind of thing enough to not make a huge pee puddle below.

Well she was doing pretty good and when all of Cameron's classmates went for their potty break Terrilyn wanted to go along also but wouldn't go any further than the door because it was so loud and echoed. Later after we had cleaned up from the pancake breakfast I couldn't see her well thats because she was sitting on the floor behind a table in a pile of pee. So when school was over we went home to change clothes and go to Wal-mart.

It was as crazy as I had expected and I did my shopping and got in line, waited and as I am putting it on the conveyor belt I realized there were some things I forgot so back in I go and back to another line and just when we are the next ones in line Terrilyn needs to go the bathroom but I am stuck with a cart full of groceries I already bought and next to check out on a couple of things I tell her just a minute and as we are about to put those last few things up to be paid for she starts crying (now she is standing in the back of the cart and there are some plastic storage containers that I bought under her) I rush to her and pick her up (to save my bagged groceries) as pee goes everywhere on the plastic containers and the floor. Meanwhile there is a line of people behind me and Alexander has decided that it is time to get fussy and I am trying to take off her wet panties, mop up the pee that's on the floor and the plastic boxes, with paper towels. Its my turn now I quickly (well as fast as the old lady checking us out would go)check out. During this Terrilyn who is in a little cotton dress is holding it up with her bare behind exposed for one and all in Wal-mart to see. Luckily I had just bought some new pink "panties" (currently we had 3 little boy pairs 3 white and 3 girlie) So I am walking out the doors when the plastic containers go spilling off the cart and Teriyln is making a break for it across the parking lot and a really nice teenage gal offers to help carry them to my car...keep in mind I had only hurriedly dried them off and they were still a little wet and I just didn't have the heart to tell her that they were wet because my daughter had peed on them because I needed the help to my car. This is where you think "whew just off to home and we are done"

But the van is acting up and we stop by Hungry Howies to have Jeremy take a look at it and the kids want pizza. So inside we go to eat a late lunch...Terrilyn is making faces "are you going poop?" more faces and a nod so we rush off to the back of the store to the bathroom with Alexander in tow and I sit him in the corner by the utility shelves away from the toilet and slide Terrilyn on the toilet which smears poop everywhere. The bathroom is freezing and she is shaking and says she is done. So I clean up the toilet and out we go to finish our pizza (now into pair #2 of new panties). Out to the van and I am strapping Alexander into his seat and staring through the van at Terrilyn who is standing on the other side making a face about to cry and saying "uh oh" I walk around and she is standing in a puddle of pee. Now it is really time to go home because that is pair #3 of new panties and the last I have.

I am happy to report however that since then we have done GREAT just a few minor incidents but for the most part we are well on our way to being potty trained. She even has only wet the bed once :) Yeah!!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL, great birth control story. Thanks for sharing.

Jennica said...

Hey! Great to read your posts. This one in particular totally made me laugh! Why do I want kids, again??! :)

Dena said...

That was the funniest story ever! I'm sure it didn't seem that funny at the time though. Only a parent can truely appreciate the potty training drama!

BoyMaker said...

FANTASTIC story - so true.... Know that we have all felt that chaotic struggle. I have YET to try that w/ Jack! GOOD LUCK!

The Lemon Family said...

nathan this story should make you want to have kids think of all the excitment you are missing out on...our days have been much better since she has really gotten the hang of it but she is partial to her potty at home and is starting to hold it until we are at home